Saturday, January 31, 2009

No, I Don't Want a Gun

When I decided to start keeping this blog, I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with it. I figured it would be a good way for me to let people know what is going on here at Catholic and for me to vent to something (since Liz went off to Europe). I wondered if I would come up with anything to blog about or if anyone would find it at all interesting. I guess I was more concerned with the former than I was with the latter, but I still questioned. I didn't want this to be something I do for three days and then never use again. I also didn't want it to turn into something where I feel like I have to post even if there is nothing remotely interesting happening. After tonight, however, I realized the full purpose of this blog is so that I can recount and talk about my weekends to those who aren't here at school. Tonight was one of those nights...
So my evening started off pretty boring. I got to talk to Liz (which wasn't the boring part). She called me from Croatia and told me about the program so far and all the people she's there with. We talked about the summer and I filled her in on what was going on here. After that I made dinner, had a drink and headed over to Trailer 15 to see what the guys were up to tonight. Molly was at a mission jamaica meeting and I didn't feel like sitting alone. So I went over there and found Karl, Fid, Nick and his roommate Jason hanging out. We talked for a bit, Erin came over and Karl went home for the weekend. Fid played and beat each of us in chess and, afterwards, Erin, Nick and I came back to my trailer to hang out.
This is where it gets interesting. Nick got wasted. Really wasted. In about two hours. Maybe less. Erin was sober and I'd had one drink. Nick then proceeded to spend the rest of the night hitting on me, no matter how many times I tried to show him I wasn't really interested. The guy couldn't take a hint. He was smacking my arm and joking with me. I think he whined at one point and said "but I wanted to hang out with you". It was getting a little ridiculous since he showed no sign of stopping even though I was doing nothing to encourage him. Finally after an hour or so of this, Erin and I decided it would be a good idea to go see if Chris and co. were back from their friend's house. We figured that if there were more people around he would leave me alone. This, however, was not the case.
We go back over to Trailer 15. Steve is putting on music, Kenny is relaxing, their weird friend and his gf were on the couch and Chris was sick. It was a real party atmosphere, let me tell you. When Steve realizes he left his Chinese food at his friend's house, Erin says she'll drive him back there in Kenny's car. So, Erin, Steve, his friend and gf all leave. That leaves Nick, Kenny, me and Chris, who is still in the bathroom. I figured I'd be safe since Kenny was around and I could get him to tell Nick to knock it off if he started up again. Well, low and behold, next thing I know I'm pinned between Nick and the end of the couch. He throws his arm around me and starts yelling at me about how I need to buy a gun because Obama's police are going to hurt me. I told him I don't want a gun. Other people can own them, but I have no desire to. He became pretty insistent that I buy a gun and started yelling about prices and German handguns and learning to shoot. No matter how often I told him I didn't want a gun, he wouldn't listen. Finally I turned to Kenny and said "a little help here. Can you tell Nick I don't want a gun?" His response? "She doesn't need a gun as long as people like me have guns." Thanks, Kenny. That really helped. I was hoping for more of a "leave her alone" type answer, but beggars can't really be choosers, can they?
After this proceeds on for about 10 minutes (with me now practically hanging over the edge of the couch while Nick yells on about Obama and guns), Laura and Fid show up. At Last!! People who will help me!! I give Laura a pleading "Help Me!" look and she comes over and tries to talk to us and calm Nick down. After a minute Fid asks if there is any beer. I immediately jumped up and told him there was some in my trailer and we should go get it. So Fid, Laura and I peaced out and came back to my trailer. We hung out for a while and Erin showed back up, at which point we had a drink and the two of us filled Laura and Fid in on what had been going on all night. They thought it was insane, but we all got a good laugh out of it.
So that was my night. Kinda crazy. I don't know where any of that came from, but sometimes you really gotta just learn to take a hint. I mean, at one point in Chris' trailer Nick actually asked me "if I get sick will you take care of me" to which I responded "No". Kenny thought that was hysterical, and it was. You would think at that point a guy would get a clue. But no. That happened before the gun fiasco even started. I don't get it. How the hell do I end up in these situations? I never cease to amaze myself.

1 comment: