Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sam Adams

My boring junior seminar class finally payed off today. When I got into politics, our prof asked us which historical figure was the most important leading up to the signing to the Declaration. I raised my hand and asked if he meant in the political or public opinion arena. He said either one and I told him I thought Sam Adams was the most important. The prof looked at me for a second with a surprised look on his face and then said "well I thought I was going to get to play cat and mouse for a while but you hit it right on the head. Sam Adams. And why is he the most important?" Then I got to go into a whole thing about the Sons of Liberty and the Committee of Correspondence. He ended up relating it to the Boston Tea Party and the Tea protests yesterday. But ohh yea, I had some major brownie points by the end of that tangent. Then later on in the class I got into a debate with Brendan about the representative democracy that the United States is founded on and I'm pretty sure the prof supported my argument. It was one of those times when the prof looks at you and is like "Go back at him. I think you're completely right."
In history, I'm pretty sure I frazzled my professor. After he left Caldwell to sprint back to Cardinal Hall to get papers that he thought he left there (but still couldn't find) I asked him how the weight of our graded prjoects would change since our second paper is now optional extra credit. He said everythign would still count for the same percentage but then I asked him what would happen to the 15% that was supposed to be for the second paper. He like a deer in the headlights and was like "well, I'll try and figure that out and let you know." Then I asked him if we were going to get back our first papers at some point and he was like "yea, at some point. eventually the t.a. will give them back." Ok. Great. But hey, I filled my class participation credit for the semester in that class today. Instead of a lecture we had a discussion on these douments about a rebellion that we were supposed to have read. Well, I didn't read them and I don't even have them. Although, I did comment on all of them and raise valid concerns about their credibility. Basically I kicked ass in class today.
It's beautiful out today and Erin and I are going to go see the Nats-Phillies game tonight. Tomorrow is Odyssey Day. Hell on campus. I hate Odyesy Day. I would really like to appologize to all the poor college students my parents and I tortured while looking at schools. But its ok, bceause Erin and I are spending the weekend at Irish Times!! And Saturday night, the rugby team is having some kind of end of the year thing there. Three guesses as to who is on the rugby team. Haha. It's going to be a good weekend.

1 comment:

  1. haha i love successes in class participation. props.

    i never volunteer anything in class, but i always sit up front to give the illusion that i know what is going on, but most of the time (esp in politics classes) i'm just sitting there thinking 'what the hell is going on...?'

    ReplyDelete