Sunday, May 31, 2009

The District

I realize that I stopped writing and updating my blog. This is not due to me forgetting about it. Quite the contrary. I thought about posting several times. But when I tried to come up with something to talk about, I would come to the realization that nothing interesting and blog worthy had happened. But now I'm back in DC to start working and I'm sure my life will be slightly more interesting. So, I will now give a general update of the last two weeks. Lets see...
I worked at Harry's for most of the time I was home. It's never dull in that place. Every time I come home, there is a new bum to meet, or an update on the downwardly spiraling lives of our regular bums. We've got this new guy... I don't know his name, but he's a small skinny guy with no hair, most likely in his fifties. He comes in a couple of times a day, talking to himself. I don't mean mumbling. I mean a full conversation. And he's always carrying a small American flag. I think someone gave it to him at the Memorial Day parade last week. Damn people trying to be nice. Aside from that, Gary the Puppet and his band of misfits who live in an apartment across the street are getting more insane. This guy Gary has some kind of disease (I think MS) and he's all messed up. He's got a white trash wife. I mean waaaay white trash. She's got a daughter a couple months younger than me and a son about two years older than me. The son is the only slightly normal one. The daughter just had a baby last year and the poor kid has a trech in his throat cause his lungs didn't ully develop because the daughter was smoking weed while she was pregnant. These guys are pretty much at the bottom of our list of bums.
I got my hair cut on Thursday and colored on Friday. It's ver different and I really like it. It's shorter (only to my shoulder) and I've got a side bang . Plus it is layered with a face frame. The new cut, with the color.... its good summer hair. Hahaha.
Overall, home was pretty uneventful. My sister got into the National Honor Society. She's an overachiever and, while I was the vice president, she'll probably become the president. That's just the type of person that she is. My mom basically told me that Leigh Ann was too good to go to a school like Catholic. Thanks mom! My grandparents are coming home next week for my cousin Matt's wedding. They're driving again. And they said they might stop here over the weekend to take me to lunch and see me. That could be good or it could be bad. I'm not sure yet.
Yesterday the four of us took a trip into the city. My dad thought it would be a fun thing to do. And something different. I swear, for living so close to New York City, I don't go there very often and I probably know less about the city than some tourists. In certain regards. In other was, I definitely know more. Butwe dont go to the city that often. Why would we? It's such a hastle to sit in traffic and then pay $25 to park. There are crowds and its noisy and I don't really have much desire to do touristy things in New York. That just seems rediculous to me and everyone else I know. Well, we went to the city yesterday. We took a double decker tour, which was kind of cool. The guy told us a couple things we didn't know and we got to the see the city from a different perspective. That was nice. We got off in Chinatown and walked to Little Italy, where they just happened to be having a street festival for the Feast of St. Anthony. My sister and I convinced our parents to go to Ferrara's, which is (by far) the greatest bakery in the world. It's amazing. I got a lobster tail and an iced coffee. It was heaven. I always get the lobster tail when I'm there. They're just so damn good. It's something to be experienced. Just off the corner of Grand and Mulberry, if anyone is interested. So after the bakery, we took a cab to the western end of SoHo and went to the Tenenment Museum, which was really cool. There was an obnoxious lady, who thought she knew everything, on our tour though. I hate peopel like that. Why come on the tour if you know everythign already? Wht spend the money? Well, after we were done at the museum, we walked back to Little Italy to get dinnerbecause there were just so many good restaurants. While we were eating, they had a parade where a statue was carried up and down Mulberry Street and people gave donations and prayed to the saint. My dad (being the ass that he is) decided to go stand by the statue so I could take his picture and send it to his friend. They thought it was funny. So that was our day. We had a good time.
And now I'm back in DC and I have work in the morning. I'm sure it will be good and I'll have a fine time. I'm looking forward to just being able to settle into a routine and get used to things. It's like when you start the semester... you're still trying to remember where your classes are and figure out how the semester is going to work out in terms of work. By the end of the week, I'm sure I'll have it all figured out.
Ok, I am completely exhausted from getting up, packing my car, driving down here, unpacking my car, going to Giant, unpacking my room and setting everything up. So I'm going to read my book and go to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment