Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The High Holy Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!!

It's that time of year again. That time when everything becomes a just little greener, bagpipes can be heard in the distance and it is suddenly acceptable to drink Bailey's and Jameson in your morning coffee. That's right ladies and gentlemen, The High Holy Day is upon us. It is St. Patrick's Day once again.
As I'm sure you all know, today is one of (if not my absolute) my favorite holidays of the year. It's always back and forth between today and Christmas (with 4th of July close behind), but as I get older I think today is starting to win out. I look forward to March 17th all year and usually have a countdown going by early January. The days leading up are spent blasting the Boondocks Saint's theme and all my other Irish music. You can feel the excitement in the air.
On any given day, there are a million reasons why I love being Irish. But today, I love it even more. What other nationality has a holiday (a religious one, no less) dedicated to drinking? It's amazing. I don't think it is possible for anything to ruin my day today. I may get annoyed at things, like the fact that Molly washed exactly half the dishes today and left the other half in the sink. But on a whole, I cannot be brought down.

Next year, our Spring Break ends on the weekend of the Washington DC St. Patrick's Day parade. Therefore, when planning our vacation, I will find it imperitive that we come back Saturday night so that we can go to the parade and get really drunk afterward. And the entire day of St. Patrick's Day will be spent at the Dubliner next year. Liz. Erin. You are on notice!
Now, if you will all excuse me, I'm going to go back to drinking my Miller Lite and listening to my Irish music while I celebrate this final hour of St. Patty's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment