Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Home Front

The mystique that surrounds coming home and seeing the town you grew up in has worn off. Now I'm just bored. Know what I did today? Absolutely nothing. I drove my sister to school, went back to bed, made a dentist appointment and watched the first hour of 24 that I missed last night. That's it. I mean, 24 was the most thrilling part of my day (not that it isn't usually the most thrilling part of my Mondays). But on the excitement scale, it was followed closely by the scheduling of my root canal follow up visit. That's just pathetic. I'm ready to get back to school at this point.
I think the rest of the week might be a bit more interesting. I'm going to get new tires on my car, go read to my mom's class for Read Across America week, get a pedicure and babysit. The excitement is almost too much to handle. But speaking of my car tires.... my g-ma called today and while I was talking to her she asked how I was getting back to school. When I told her I was driving, she said "Oh, so that's ok with your parents, obviously?" No. Actually I was planning on getting up really early on Sunday and leaving before they woke up. Maybe they won't notice my keys are missing. What the hell? Yes they know I'm driving. Then she tells me to make sure I leave early because, ya know, last time I hit traffic. Duh. It was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, it was pouring rain and there was construction through all of Delaware. Did she expect me to fly down 95?
Well, the most interesting part of my day (24) did not disappoint. If you don't watch this show, you should. This week, a bunch of African terrorists infiltrated the White House and took the President's daughter hostage until the President and Jack Bauer surrendered themselves (they were in a lockdown room). Next week, there is going to be a huge explosion at the White House, Jack is going to try and save the President and the FBI is gonna go rogue after a direct order from the Vice President to stand down. I can't wait! Overall, it's a little far fetched. You have to just go with it and not ask too many technical questions about the realistic posability of things. If you can do that, it's a great show.
I don't know why but it sucks me in every week. I've been watching since the first season in 2001 (when I was in the 8th grade!). Honestly, its not a show that I could see very many liberal democrats being a fan of. It's all about storming buildings, guns blazing and interrogating the shit out of the bad guy until he tells you everything. Really, I think it probably had a big influence on the initially formation my conservative views. Which is sad I know, but it had a lot to do with the time (october 2001) and being able to see America physically and literally kick the crap out of the terrorists. My views aren't based on 24 or Jack Bauer anymore (obviously) but at 13 it was something that caused me to become more aware of the world and take a stance on issues. That... and The West Wing. But everyone my age who is interested in politics watched that show.
I think I'm getting sick. Oh, and I hurt my shoulder yesterday. That is always fun. It's been over a year since I hurt it last, so I'd almost forgotten how it felt. I've felt terrible all day. I've got a headache and I'm getting all achy. Damn it! This needs to be done with. I don't have time to deal with being sick. There is homework to be done and car tires to be bought!!
Perhaps I should take some Sudafed and go to bed early. Haha. Yea, ok. That'll happen. But I am going to go take something and hope to fight off whatever it is that I'm getting.

1 comment:

  1. 1.) i hope it doesnt take you like 10 hours to drive back to DC on sunday, that would just suck.

    2.) i've realized in real life (like the show 24) "not to ask too many technical questions about the realistic posability of things. If you can do that, it's a great." [ref: fml]

    3.) AIDS. get tested.

    ReplyDelete