Saturday, February 28, 2009

Home Again

Ahhh, its good to be back in Bayonne. I actually looked forward to coming home (other than the dreaded housing convo, but more on that later). But I like it because it seems like nothing ever really changes here. Not drastically at least. Maybe one or two stores will change (popeye's closed and the new lightrail station is almost done) but it's like my town is unfazed by time or any outside factors. Without a doubt, I know I can come home and go to Pompeii to get pizza or drive through Magic Fountain in the summer and get an Orea Hurricane. When I come home for Easter, Mr. Softee will be out selling ice cream with his music playing and kids chasing him down. Growing up across the street from a park, there was rarely a two or three day streak where we didn't have Mr. Softee on summer night. I guess everyone feels the same way when they think about coming back to the town they grew up in. As bored and restless as I get when I'm home for too long, its great when I first get here.
Ok, I just got completely sidetracked for like a half hour looking at noteable CUA alums. I'm not sure why or how I was looking this stuff up, but its all right there on Wikipedia. I was stunned how many people actually went to Catholic (other than John Voight, Ed McMahon, Susan Sarandon, Terry McCauliffe and Ed Gillespie). We mention them on our tours. I mean, did you know that John Slattery of Mad Men went to Catholic? How about Jim McGreevy (the former gay governor of NJ)? Brian Williams of NBC (I did know about him). Rosanna Scotto of Fox 5 NY news. Brian Cashman, the senior VP and GM for the Yankees. Wally Pipp, the Yankees first basemen famous for losing his spot to Lou Gehrig. John Douglas, the current shortstop for the Blue Jays. Richard Nixon's daughter Julie. The actress who voiced Ursula in The Little Mermaid. The co-writer of the Spiderman 2 screenplay. The current presidents of La Salle and Villanova and the former president of Notre Dame. Timothy Shriver. The guy's a Kennedy! His mother is JFK and RFK's sister and his sister, Maria, is maried to Ah-nold. It's Uncle John and Uncle Bobby! His Uncle Ted is dying! And our best alum (in my opinion)... the guy who discovered synthetic rubber! :::i'm being overly dramatic:::
Ok, I have obviously gotten waaay sidetracked. I've suddenly become very interested in Wikipedia-ing the entire Kennedy family. Not that I'm going to become a democrat or anything. I just don't know too much about the whole family. Other than the fact that I know there are about a hundred of them and they're cursed. So I think I'm gonna spend some time researching them tomorrow. God, I must be bored. There must be some homework I could do. But we're goingto get 6-9 inches of snow tomorrow into Monday so I'll need to keep myself entertained and what's better than reading up on one of the most doomed, cursed families of the democratic party? Haha, excuse me while I go be sinical.

No comments:

Post a Comment