Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Titicut Follies

Not only in my media prof a Nazi, she's also very demented. For the past week she's been telling us about how she didn't think we were going to have a movie screening tonight because the film we were supposed to watch was very disturbing. This is all she's told us for a week, but low and behold, we had the screening tonight.
I wasn't so much disturbed by the film, as it was that I just don't know how I feel about what I just watched. I'm also not sure what the point the film was trying to was. Its a film about a mental institution in Massachusetts in the late 1960s. The state actually got it banned for about 25 years before it was finally screened in 1992. I really just didn't get it though. Here are some of the highlights of the movie: (1) a large room of naked men rambling to themselves, (2) a naked man being force fed with a tube down his nose, (3) a man drinking bath water for three minutes, (4) a guy talking to his psychiatrist about violating his daughter, (5) a mental guy preaching for communism, (6) the wardens strip searching inmates and (7) random naked people walking around mumbling. Don't you wish you could have watched this too?
We get it. The mental institutions in the 1960s sucked, but I'm pretty sure that they've improved over the past 40 years. Sucks for those guys, but people are better off now. I just really don't get the whole naked thing. I mean, did the state not have enough funding to buy them all uniforms? They only had five outfits to go around or something? It was really weird and I'm just having a little trouble processing it. I mean, I know what I watched but I really just don't get the point of it. I'm not entirely sure their was a point.
Ok, time to go to the Pryz for my philosophy study group session. Then back here to keep studying and maybe catch the president's "state of the nation" address.

No comments:

Post a Comment